Home ownership can be quite the task (pun totally intended). A better way to state it in Todo vernacular is that home ownership include a lists of tasks that can be overwhelming to stay on top of.
If you’re a homeowner you’re constantly worried about the integrity and value of your home and you’ve got lists upon lists of things that you know need to get done. If you’re a Todo Cloud user these are probably reflected in a “Honey-do” list (and if you’re not, then shame on you). Or these tasks are written somewhere or stored in the back of your mind of things to get to. Or worse, they’re stored in the back of your spouse’s mind for them to remember and you to forget (eek).
In previous posts we’ve talked about how sharing task lists in Todo Cloud can help you get more done. In this post we’ll talk about how you can use repeating (or recurring) tasks to stay on top of home maintenance tasks that should be done on a regular basis.
Why? Let’s take a look at one example.
The United States Department of Energy reports that changing your HVAC filter can improve the efficiency of your HVAC equipment by 5% to 15%. If your average utility bills total $200 a month, that could mean a savings of $10-$30 a month. That’s $360 a year. I can think of a couple of things that I’d love to spend $360 on.
Small task that doesn’t take much time but when was the last time you did it? Easy to forget isn’t it. By setting a repeating task once you don’t have to worry about remembering. Todo Cloud will do that for you.
Here are ten repeating tasks for home maintenance that you should have in Todo Cloud:
- Clean or replace HVAC air filters monthly
- Test your smoke detectors monthly and change their batteries twice a year
- Hold a fire drill twice a year
- Aerate your lawn once a year
- Drain gasoline from your lawn mower and other power tools once a year before winter (I forgot to do this one year and killed my mower)
- Steam-clean or shampoo carpets and furniture twice a year
- Clean out plumbing traps once a year
- Deep clean kitchen appliances twice a year
- Change batteries/bulbs in small appliances and flashlights once a year
- Add salt to your water softener every eight weeks
It’s important to note that this isn’t an exclusive list of repeating home maintenance tasks (if you weren’t aware, we’re an app development company not a home maintenance company), but instead a list of tasks to get you started. Be sure to add your own based on personal and geographical needs.